Birmingham Airport are committed to ensuring that the personal data of our passengers is handled in accordance with data protection law. This privacy notice reflects the requirements of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) and will be updated to reflect any future changes to data protection laws.
The type of personal information we collect
We may collect and process the following information about you as part of the recruitment process:
- your name
- address and contact details, including email address and telephone numbers
- date of birth
- employment history
We may also process the following special category data of a more sensitive nature:
- Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) information
- health information
- criminal convictions or offences
How we get the personal information and why we have it
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you when you apply for one of our roles. We will also perform social media screening to evaluate candidates’ professional suitability. This involves reviewing publicly accessible information.
We also receive personal information indirectly, from the following sources:
- an employment agency
- security clearance providers
- health providers
We use the information that is provided to us to assess your suitability for the role that you have applied for.
We will share this information with:
- our HR software system provider, MHR, who will have access to personal data held for the purposes of supporting the IT infrastructure only
- our HR Team who requires access to your information throughout the recruitment process
- West Midlands Police and the Home Office who require your information to perform weekly checks for criminal records
- ARR, a reference company who use your information to carry out reference checks on our behalf
Under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
- processing is necessary for the establishment or performance of a contract (employment contract)
- processing is necessary for the purposes of carrying out the obligations and exercising specific rights of the controller or of the data subject in the field of employment and social security and social protection law
- processing is necessary for the purposes of preventive or occupational medicine, for the assessment of the working capacity of the employee
How we store your personal information
Your information is securely stored on our HR system, iTrent. iTrent servers are based in the UK and your information will not be transferred outside of the European Economic Area (EEA).
If you are successful in the recruitment process and offered a position, your information will be retained in your personnel file for 6 years after you have left the company.
If you are unsuccessful in the recruitment process, your personal information will be retained for no longer than one year from the recruitment process.
Is your personal data being processed because of a regulatory or contractual requirement?
Yes, vetting is a regulatory requirement by the Civil Aviation Authority.
Are we using automated decision making or profiling with regards to your personal data?
Yes, we employ automated decision-making and profiling to review and assess candidate details submitted through our online application form. This approach is designed to simplify the initial selection phase, thereby saving your time, and enabling our HR department to focus on evaluating qualified candidates.
Algorithms analyse the data provided and make decisions according to the specific criteria set by Birmingham Airport, such as eligibility to work in the UK. Should you not provide the necessary answers, the system will halt the application process and provide an explanation as to why this has occurred.
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- Your right of access - You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure - You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing - You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at [email protected] if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us at:
Data Protection Team
Birmingham Airport Limited
E-mail: [email protected]
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk