Birmingham Airport Visitor CCTV and Thermal Imaging Privacy Notice
Birmingham Airport is collecting your personal data. When we collect personal data, we are obliged legally to provide you with certain information, it is called the “Right to be Informed”. That information is contained in the below Notice. If any of the information we provide to you is not clear enough, there are contact details for Birmingham Airports Data Protection Officer further down this Notice, please do not hesitate to make contact and ask for further information.
- Why we need it - the purpose of processing
Birmingham Airport has CCTV across its infrastructure, including the terminal. CCTV will capture images in real time in whichever direction the cameras are pointed, and these cameras will capture footage of you whilst you are on the premises. Cameras have been situated both inside and outside the buildings.
We are collecting and processing personal information via the CCTV systems for the following purposes:
- To ensure the health and safety of Airport visitors.
- To detect, prevent or reduce the incidence of crime.
- To prevent and respond effectively to all forms of possible harassment and disorder.
- To reduce the fear of crime.
- To create a safer environment.
- To provide emergency services assistance.
- To monitor the use of IT systems, and their users, throughout the airport for security purposes.
- For security compliance & performance monitoring and measuring.
- To monitor operational standards throughout the airport, including contractual agreements with partners.
- Why we’re allowed to process your personal information in this way – the legal basis
To process your personal information via CCTV we are relying on the following schedule 2 conditions of the GDPR. If you do not understand any of the following and would like clarification, please contact the Data Protection Officer on details at the bottom of this notice.
- Article 6 condition - Legal obligation - Department for Transport Regulations regarding CCTV systems within the Airport.
- Article 6 condition - Public interest
- Who we will share your personal information with?
There is a small amount of CCTV that is shared with our crime partners, as listed below. There are Information Sharing Agreements in place to document how the airport shares the CCTV footage with other organisations lawfully.
Currently we share limited CCTV footage with the following;
West Midlands Police
The UK’s Counter Terrorism Unit
UK Border Force
Internally CCTV footage will only be processed by airport staff who are authorised to do so and any other departments where a legitimate and lawful reason for their involvement is required. All access is monitored and recorded.
- Where your personal information will be stored or transferred to
CCTV Footage will be stored on secure Airport servers based within the UK.
- How long we will keep your personal information for
The CCTV system will keep footage for 31 days, at which point it will be automatically overwritten.
Any footage which is pulled from the system for official purposes will be subject to departmental retention schedules. If you have any questions surrounding these department specific retention timescales, you can request that information from the Data Protection Officer, whose details are at the bottom of this Notice.
- Your rights
You are entitled to request the following from Birmingham Airport. These are called your Data Subject Rights and there is more information on Birmingham Airports website about each of these and what they mean to you. You can find this information by going to birminghamairport.co.uk/dataprotection
- Right of access
- Right to rectification
- Right to erasure
- Right to restriction of processing
- Right to data portability
- Rights with regards to automated individual decision making, including profiling
Right to object
The right to object is particularly important if we are processing your information under the conditions of a “public task”, or “legitimate interests”, and you can check that information above in section 2. These is because these conditions must be based on not overriding your rights and freedoms against our purposes for using your personal information. If we are using your personal information on these grounds and you wish to object, please contact us on
If you have any questions, or wish to contact us and ask us to look at your rights at any time, please contact Birmingham Airports Data Protection Officer on the below details.
Birmingham Airport Limited
Email: [email protected]
- If you are unhappy with the way in which we use your personal information
If you are unhappy with the way in which Birmingham Airport has used your personal information and you have already been in contact with us (on the above details) and feel we did not resolve your issues to your satisfaction, you can contact the Information Commissioners Office (The UK’s Data Protection Regulator), the details are below. However, the Information Commissioner does prefer that you have contacted Birmingham Airport first with your concerns before you then take those concerns to the Regulator.
Information Commissioners Office
Email: [email protected]
Telephone number: 0303 123 1113 for local rate calls or 01625 545745 for the national rate
- Is your personal data being processed because of a regulatory or contractual requirement?
There is a regulatory requirement for certain camera’s, in certain areas’, due to Department for Transport Regulations.
- Are we using automated decision making or profiling with regards to your personal data?
Any further questions about how we use your personal information in regard to the CCTV, that has not been covered in this notice or there is any information above that you do not understand, please contact the Data Protection Officer on [email protected].