Birmingham Airport are committed to ensuring that the personal data of our passengers is handled in accordance with data protection law. This privacy notice reflects the requirements of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR) and will be updated to reflect any future changes to data protection laws.
The type of personal information we collect
We will collect your name and email address for the purposes of signing up to our free WiFi service. We will also collect your MAC address.
How we get your personal information and why we have it
When signing up to use our WiFi, we will ask for your name and email address. You will also have the chance to opt into receiving marketing communication.
If you have ticked the opt in box, we will send you electronic marketing information via your email address. Marketing information includes:
- information about our latest destinations
- airline offers
- information concerning our airport partners
- parking and shopping offers
- advice on how to prepare for your journey through the airport
- surveys concerning your experience at Birmingham Airport
When you use Birmingham Airport’s free WiFi we will collect your MAC address. A MAC address is a hardware (device such as a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or PC) identification number that uniquely identifies each device on a network.
The MAC address allows the software to recognise the device and allow instant access, rather than the user having to go through the sign up process again.
Under the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), the lawful basis we rely on for processing this information are:
- processing is necessary for the legitimate interests of the data controller and data subject
- the data subject has given consent to the processing of their personal data
- processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party
We also rely on consent under the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Direction) Regulations 2003.
You can withdraw your marketing consent at any time by clicking on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any marketing email we send you.
Who we share your personal information with
We use an email broadcasting platform called Campaigner to create and dispatch our marketing communications so, your information will sit in their software and on their servers. They will only process your data for marketing purposes.
How we store your personal information
Since your information is captured on the WiFi landing pages, Birmingham Airport will capture your marketing information if you have given your consent.
Birmingham Airport will have access to the personal data held in its software for the purposes of supporting the IT infrastructure only, they will not have access to the information for any other purpose.
Your MAC address will only be used within Birmingham Airport’s IT department. This information will not be used to identify individuals. The Airport does not have the information available to match a MAC address to an individual, nor are we collecting it with this intent.
We have a re-engagement programme in place, meaning you will be removed from our marketing database if you have not engaged with us for two years. At this point we will remove your information from our marketing database over the next year, meaning your information will not be kept any longer than 3 years after your last engagement. If you are engaging with us, we will continue to send you marketing until you withdraw your consent.
If you have not opted into marketing, your data will be retained for a period of 24 hours before it is deleted.
Your MAC address will be kept for 100 days. This time span is required to allow regular users to be able to gain instant access, rather than having to logon each time.
Is your personal data being processed because of a regulatory or contractual requirement?
Are we using automated decision making or profiling with regards to your personal data?
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- Your right of access - You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification - You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure - You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing - You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing - You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability - You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at [email protected] if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to us at:
Data Protection Team
Birmingham Airport Limited
E-mail: [email protected]
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk