Birmingham Airport has recorded the busiest January in its history, as over 600,000 passengers passed through the terminal last month, an 11.1% increase compared to the same period last year.
Latest figures reveal the Airport handled 612,066 passengers in January, beating its previous record for the month set in 2008 by 4.2%
January’s passenger numbers follow a record-breaking year for Birmingham Airport, which served almost 10 million passengers in 2014.
Paul Kehoe, the Airport’s Chief Executive, said: “Recording the busiest January in our history is the perfect way to start the new year. We want to build on this, continuing the success we had 2014, which saw almost 10 million passengers choose Birmingham Airport.
“Already this year, we have seen Icelandair launch their twice weekly service to Reykjavik from Birmingham and we’re looking forward to more exciting new route launches in the coming months, including a trio of Spanish routes with Norwegian, New York JFK with American Airlines and Barcelona with Vueling.
“In addition, Turkish Airlines will be increasing flights between Birmingham and Istanbul in March, from 10 flights per week to 12 and Emirates will introduce a third daily service to Dubai later in the year, meaning 2015 is shaping up to be another great year for us.”
Scheduled routes that saw the biggest increase last month were Hamburg (+107.7%), Salzburg (+100.0%), Turin (+100.0%), Hurghada (+100.0%) and Toulouse (+100.0%).
Charter services to Montego Bay (+100.0%), Chambery (+48.2%), Enfidha (+43.0%) and Funchal Madeira (+23.0%) also experienced significant growth.
During January, scheduled traffic accounted for 89% of the total figure, with charter passengers making up the remaining 11%.