Prepare to return to the UK
From 17th May onwards, before you enter the UK you must:
- Take a COVID-19 test up to 3 days before departure. You will need to show a negative test result when you arrive in the UK, including if you are returning home.
- Fill in your passenger locator form up to 48 hours before you enter the UK. You’ll need to show your form when you check in to travel or board your plane to the UK. You can complete the form online here.
If you are returning to England from:
- A country on the red list, or you have transited through one in the past 10 days, you must book to stay in a managed quarantine hotel. Find more information on red list countries here.
- A country on the amber list, or you have transited through one in the past 10 days, you must book COVID tests under the quarantine rules for arriving into England. Find more information on amber list countries here.
- A country on the green list, you must book a day 2 COVID test. Find more information on green list countries here. You do not need to quarantine unless the test result is positive. You can find a travel test provider and book here.
These rules do not apply for travel within the Common Travel Area (the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man). You do not need to take a COVID-19 test or quarantine on arrival in England if you are travelling within the Common Travel Area, and you have not been outside of the Common Travel Area in the previous 10 days. Different requirements apply for arriving into Northern Ireland.