Prepare for Security and save time
Location: First floor, access from North and South check in areas
To save you time and make your journey more enjoyable, please follow our advice to prepare for the security process
- Have travel documents ready for inspection
- Comply with your airline’s guidelines on cabin baggage allowance
- Have all toiletries, aftershaves, perfumes and cosmetics (in containers of 100ml or less each) in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag ready for security staff to x-ray separately to your cabin baggage
- Remove jackets and coats, these will be screened separately through the x-ray scanner
- Remove laptop computers, tablets (ipads etc), kindles/e-readers and other large electrical devices from your cabin baggage to be screened separately
- Be prepared to remove your shoes and belt if instructed to do so
- If your airline advises that you should be at a boarding gate at a specific time, please allow time for any unforeseen delays at the security area
- Once through Security, if you wish to return landside for any reason UK Border Force require you to go through the security process again to re-enter the departure lounge
You are only allowed to take small quantities of liquid in your cabin baggage.
- These liquids must be in individual containers, a maximum capacity 100ml each.
- These liquids must be packed in one transparent, re-sealable plastic bag (20cmx 20cm)
- Each passenger may only carry 1 such bag
- E-cigarettes and associated items
- Cigarette lighters
- Water and other drinks, soups or syrups
- Creams, lotions and oils ie. lipstick, vaseline
- Gels, including hair and shower gels
- Contents of pressurised containers, including shaving foam, other foams and deodorants
- Pastes, including toothpaste
- Liquid-solid mixtures
- Any other item of similar consistency
You may still:
- Pack liquids in any baggage you check in. Liquid restrictions only apply to cabin bags
- Buy liquids such as drinks and perfumes in an EU airport after security or on board EU airlines
Medicine and baby food
- Prescription medicines are allowed in cabin baggage but you must carry supporting documentation for the prescription.
- Baby food and foodstuffs for special dietary requirements may be carried but you may be asked to taste the contents
Cabin baggage guidelines
- Hand luggage dimensions must not exceed 56cm long, 45cm wide, 25cm deep (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc). Some airlines impose more restrictive dimensions so you must check with your airline before flying.
- Musical instruments will be allowed (even if they do not fit the dimensions required for cabin baggage), these will be screened separately and you should check with your airline before flying
Sharp and pointed items
The following list is indicative of the type of item not permitted in cabin baggage. This is an example list and is not exhaustive. Please note this is in addition to the list of dangerous and illegal goods published by individual airlines.
- Toy or replica guns
- Household cutlery
- Knives with blades any longer than 6cm
- Paper knives
- Razor blades
- Tradesman’s tools
- Scissors with pointed tips and blades longer than 6cm
- Sporting bats
- Billiard, snooker or pool cues
- Flammable liquids
- Gas canister, butane energy cells
Travelling with Electronics
Please click here to read the Department for Transport's advice about travelling to the UK from certain countries with electronics.
Birmingham Airport continuously works alongside regulatory authorities to ensure that the highest standards of safety on board aircraft are maintained. Both the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) issue guidance relating to the carriage of Lithium Batteries on board aircraft to help minimise potential risks.
- We recommend that passengers planning to travel with electrical items powered by lithium batteries, including electric mobility aids, and/or carrying spare batteries, peruse the published guidance material via these websites.
- We further recommend that you contact your airline direct should you wish to seek any clarification of these regulations as approval for certain items may be required prior to travel.